DIY Scrapbook Journal Cover

Hey everyone! 
Today I'm going to show you step by step on how I created my very own 1 canoe 2 scrapbook journal cover. As you all know already that I'm absolutely obsessed with their line of goodies, and unfortunately they don't currently have a 8x11 sketchbook so I had to get creative. I did a lot of research on how I wanted mine to look and decided that I did not want to be overly complicated. Check it out below. 😃
Supplies:
  • Hardcover sketchbook from Walmart
  • 4 sheets of the 1 canoe 2 craft paper called Willow Flourish from JoAnns (These are double sided prints which we use both sides for in this DIY)
  • Mod Podge
  • 2x Paintbrushes
  • Hazelnut Waverly Chalk Paint
  • Sanding block/Paper (Your preference)
  • Scissors
  • Pencil
  • File folder clips
  • Scotch double sided tape
STEP 1:
The sketchbook from Walmart is a little cloth feeling like so I wanted to sand it down a little bit so that the paint would stick better onto it as well as the mod podge. Sand down only the spine and sides of the sketchbook. I specifically pointed out the spine in the picture below because you definitely want to make sure that the paint sticks there well to the surface and I'm mainly focusing on painting the spine and slight painting around the edges of the sketchbook. You can also get the middle of the sketchbook so that you make sure the mod podge sticks well too.
STEP 2:
Once you are done sanding make sure you wipe off any remaining residue from the sanding. I had a lot of black dust from my sanding. After you wipe off you are ready to paint with the Hazelnut Waverly chalk paint. As you can see below I only focused on the spine, edges of the book, and slightly over the edges in case the paper trimming was off. I also did a little bit on the inside to cover up any of the black book. I applied 2-3 coats to the spine and edges, I went in a few more times if needed it just depends on how much paint you use in each coat. 

 STEP 3:
After the book finished drying I traced the outside of the book onto my craft paper with a pencil. I then used that as an outline for the other 3 sheets of paper. I held them together with the file paper holder clips and cut them all at once. (Saves so much time!!) 

 STEP 4:
I chose the floral side of the print to be on the front of my cover so I lined it up with the book and did any necessary trimming. After the trimming I put mod podge over the cover and placed the paper on top. Smooth it over to make sure no air bubbles are left inside and the cover is complete. You have the option here to use mod podge over the entire front of the book. However, I opted out of it as I noticed from the amount I used on the front with the paper it created a weird indent in my sketchbook. (This is totally fine as I figure it would eventually with pictures and what not inside the journal)
STEP 5: Final Step
 Since I did not want to create a bigger mess by adding more glue to the inside of the book I opted into using Scotch double sided tape. I put the tape on the floral side as I wanted the opposite side of the craft paper. As you can see the inside of the sketchbook now has a different print. I also decorated it with a few die-cuts from 1 canoe 2 as well. (Can you tell I'm a little obsessed? 😃) 
And there you have it a simple easy DIY scrapbook journal cover inspired by 1 Canoe 2. 








4 comments

  1. How cool that turned out really well. I wouldnt have thought of doing that with a sketch book but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. new blog
    https://reverenceofbeing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. New blog To Better Health https://tobetterhealthintx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.