DIY Filing Cabinet/Storage



Hey everyone! 
A few weeks ago I worked on a big project for my office. I finally found on Facebook marketplace a filing cabinet that could double as a storage unit for my craft items. It was a great steal and all I needed was indoor furniture paint that didn't smell horrible and I could paint indoors and with my cats inside. Below is the finished product and read on to find out what I did to make it look awesome!
Supplies:
  1. Furniture of choice
  2. Sanding block 
  3. Silicone (IF NEEDED)
  4. Craft Smart White Acrylic multi surface chalk paint
  5. BEHR Decorative Chalk Paint
  6. Latex purpose paint brush (Lowes or Home Depot in paint section)
  7. New knobs if needed (Lowes or Home Depot)
Here is a picture of supplies
Step 1: I sanded down the edges and bottom legs of the filing cabinet because it was deteriorating a little bit and I wanted to originally paint it all white at the time. Then I decided on a pop of color against all the brown that was going on in the office. Below is what one of the bottom legs looked like prior to me paining it white and sanding a bit more.

Step 2: This step is optional. I did this because I am EXTREMELY afraid of spiders and I'm trying to prevent them from creating a home in all of my files and storage. The cabinet had useless holes on the insides of the feet and so I filled the holes with silicone. Once that was try then I painted the bottom legs white. 
Step 3: I did not paint the full insides of the cabinet as I was worried about chipping and did not want to use a wax sealant. I did two coats of the paint everywhere that you see I painted blue.
Step 4: The paint dries so smoothly its an amazing feel. I do recommend using a wax sealant if you plan to use the surface in high traffic area of your home. Next I worked on the drawers and decided to paint only the top surface and not the sides. I made sure to paint a second coat once the drawers were completely dry. Since I wasn't using any sealant I was worried about chipping when opening and closing of the drawers. I wanted to repaint the knobs white and reuse them but when I went to screw them back in they would not work. So I opted in to knobs from I believe Lowes but I can't exactly remember since I went back and forth between the two stores to decide on the right knobs. 

There you have it! Super easy DIY Filing Cabinet and I have a ton of storage for craft/office related items. 

















3 comments

  1. That is so cool and lucky you it does two things in one package,lol. Good job sweetie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know its perfect! I got lucky too because the seller was going to sell to someone else but it fell through and I got it for cheaper. Thank you!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.