Self Discipline



I wanted to make a post about my weight loss and how it had occurred to me to work more on myself. I've mentioned my journey to working on the weight loss since my ankle injury in September 2018 which in some ways helped me start the process in lowering my Dr. Pepper intake. However, back in August this year I had dislocated my jaw at a previous job and that meant I was limited in FOOD in so many ways. I'm already an extremely picky eater and that is how I've always been. I learn more about this "pickyness" in my college courses and especially in my previous child development courses. Children will acquire tastes for foods when they are introduced to them at the appropriate age of 6-12 months. Parents usually start babies on rice cereal or oatmeal around 6-7 1/2 months then slowly work in the fruits and veggies baby food. I remember liking certain baby foods but I wasn't ever re introduced to these baby foods when I was younger which could explain my odd and picky food palette.


Back to the jaw dislocation, I was already picky. When that injury happened what could I eat? I tried squash soup, tomato soup, all kinds of soup and I hated it ALL. I ended up eating boxed mashed potatoes every single day 2-3 times a day. It was extremely unhealthy and I do not advise this to anyone. Hopefully if this ever happens to you then you are not as picky as me and can eat soup! I had bad digestion issues because of eating mashed potatoes constantly and this is forever changed the my ways. I was already slowing down on Dr. Pepper leading up to the jaw dislocation, but after that happened it dwindled down a whole lot. I have started trying new foods since being able to eat normally again, and I'm not 100% like I would love to be. I can't eat crunchy things as best as I could before. I don't eat chips, crunchy hard foods, popcorn, candy, etc. I would eat all of this stuff before quite a lot and since that was all cut out given the situation that is most likely the root of my weight loss. Now do not take this as you should go dislocate your jaw so that you can loose nearly 40lbs like I did because that is not the case here. I had to work to loose a majority of my weight. No more Dr. Pepper, portioning my food, drinking 4 bottles of 20oz water a day, and working out on the treadmill for 24 minutes a day. Since I left work to focus on my jaw healing as stress from work wasn't allowing it to heal properly I learned more on how to discipline myself. It's very hard to want to actually do something and sometimes big things happen in our life to push us into making those changes. That totally okay, but big changes are not going to constantly nor consistently be there to push us to work every day.

These quotes are a good example of what I've dealt with before. When your emotions are high you want to stress eat and I would do that often. I would be stressed at work and drink a lot of Dr. Pepper to cure that craving. So when I post this quote about training your mind to be stronger than your emotions it means to me that you have to be disciplined, and not let your emotions get the best of you to the point where you overindulge yourself. Its okay to treat yourself once in a while believe me I do and as I tell my husband when I eat mini chocolate cupcakes CHEAT DAY!!! Those cupcakes never affected my weight because the water intake, exercise from work or otherwise, and not overindulging on a treat. I know it is easier said than done believe me. Staying motivated is still my number one every day struggle and I worry that I'll resort back to my old ways all the time. I love looking at new recipes all over and even on pinterest so when I find really good ones that I try out I will definitely share them with you guys. I wanted to post about this even though I already touched base a little bit about this before but it came up in my mind because I've struggled lately on being disciplined in my water intake. This can cause issues for me in my digestion so I know that I have to work on this consistently. I hope that any of you working on your weightloss journey are getting the results you want and I'm cheering you on from Texas!

Keep at it even if you feel like you can't or you are not getting anywhere! 
Share below what works for you and what doesn't I'd love to know!

1 comment

  1. Oh boy do I know the struggle of staying motivated and self discipline is always hard. Its hard when youve been an emotional eater/stress eater for years to break that habit. Youve done a great job though on your weight loss journey.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.